Local News

Route 4 slated for extensive spring and summer roadwork

By Evan Johnson

Drivers between Rutland and Killington will have to time their drives carefully this spring and summer, as Route 4 has been slated for a project involving the planing and resurfacing of roughly 15 miles.
The project will begin slightly east of the Rutland city-Rutland town line near Gleason Road and continue through Mendon and Killington to Mission Farm Road, near the Skyship Gondola.
New York-based contractor Peckham Road Corp. is overseeing the project. Road work will take place during daylight hours between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. The work will require one-way alternating traffic patterns.
Work to be performed includes cold planing, resurfacing, pavement markings, new guardrail, new signs, installation of rumble strips in designated areas, and replacement of a box culvert on the Killington end of the project and ledge removal.
The project comes at a $7.5 million price tag, with 82 percent coming from federal funding. The state will contribute the remaining 18 percent, or $1,350,000.
Peckham is ready to begin in March or April, pending snowmelt. The project is scheduled to be finished by early October, depending on weather.
Sections of the road were rebuilt and repaved during repairs from Tropical Storm Irene in 2011. But other sections along  Route 4 hadn’t been paved since 2001 and 2003.

Mountain Times Newsletter

Sign up below to receive the weekly newsletter, which also includes top trending stories and what all the locals are talking about!