Featured, Local News

Plymouth Cheese prepares expansion plans in Bridgewater

By Katy Savage

Plymouth Artisan Cheese has a new pop-up shop in the Bridgewater Mill Mall in an effort to restore new life into the old building. 

Plymouth Cheese owners Jesse and Sarit Werner became majority owners of the building in March 2022 after a multi-year legal battle with previous owners Andrea Curutchet and Jireh Billings. 

Sarit Werner said the pop-up shop is temporary as Plymouth Cheese prepares to expand and open a second retail store in the former Bridgewater Mill Mall — now called Bridgewater Mill.

“Things are slow-moving in this economy,” said Werner, explaining her family is obtaining permits. “That’s why we wanted to maximize momentum and build this pop up.” 

The pop-up shop opened at the beginning of December. The Werners plan to turn the Bridgewater Mill into a maker space for artists and performers in addition to a food hub.

“We’re in the food space,” Werner said. “We’re tying to gather like-minded businesses.”

The Werners bought Billings’ and Curutchet’s 69,000 square foot portion of the Bridgewater Mill, totaling 75% for $563,000 last March. Furniture and pottery maker ShackletonThomas owns the other 25% of the building.

The Werners’ pursuit of the building started six years ago, when they purchased a storage shed in the Bridgewater Mill for Plymouth Cheese.

The owners disagreed over association fees, taxes and sewer payments to the town. The town put the Bridgewater Mill up for tax sale in 2019 due to a delinquent sewer bill.  

“We really fought for this,” Werner said. “We could have walked away easily. We really persevered.”

Werner said there are 10 tenants in the building, including a hair studio, a post office, Ramuntos Pizza and an art gallery. 

“Everybody’s here,” she said. “Everybody’s happy. We’ve started a new chapter. We’re in it for the long-haul. This is just the beginning.”

The cheese shop is open from 11 a.m to 4 p.m. Thursday-Sunday. 

The owners are looking for new tenants.

“We’re open to all ideas,” Werner said. “Bring your paintbrush.”

Mountain Times Newsletter

Sign up below to receive the weekly newsletter, which also includes top trending stories and what all the locals are talking about!