Killington Resort has granted over $300,000 in cash and in-kind charitable donations through its Play Forever commitment in 2023 to support environmental and community nonprofit organizations, according to a news release Jan. 28.
“At Killington and Pico Resorts, we are committed to ensuring that future generations have the same opportunities for an adventurous life that we enjoy today,” said Killington Director of Brand Marketing, Events & Special Projects Amy Laramie. “There are so many great organizations, both in the Killington area and nationally that deserve support, and having the opportunity to donate to them is an important part of being members of this community.”
In 2023, Killington and Pico Resorts introduced Play Forever Fridays, where $1 of all tickets sales on Fridays at both resorts was donated to a selected cause. Each month’s beneficiary was chosen to be in line with events happening that month.
Charities supported included:
- January: The Snow Angel Foundation and its efforts with the #RideAnotherDay campaign in alignment with NSAA’s National Safety Month
- February: The Vermont Professionals of Color Network in honor of Black History Month
- March: She Jumps aligning with International Women’s Day
- April: Vermont Farmer’s Food Center to fund its Rutland County Eats programs
- May: The Rutland Mental Health Community Care Network for Mental Health Awareness Month
- June: Rutland County Pride for Pride Month
- July: Killington Mountain Bike Club to help kick off the summer and rebuild trails
- August: The VMBA Major Storm Recovery Fund and the VT Flood Response and Recovery fund after torrential rains battered the state
- October: B4BC to support Breast Cancer research and awareness. Killington will also host a B4BC event on Saturday, March 30, 2024
- November: Play for Your Freedom to honor Veterans Day.
- December: The WSYB Christmas Fund benefitting local families in need.
A number of other individual organizations also received grants throughout the year. At the 2023 Killington Brewfest, $1 for every can recycled at the event was donated to the VT Flood Response and Recovery fund, with the $6,000+ total matched by Killington beer partner Anheuser-Busch. And as part of the Stifel Killington Cup, the resort again worked closely with the Killington World Cup Foundation to donate 100% of VIP ticket sales and a portion of all general admission and grandstand tickets to the foundation, which supports winter sports programming and infrastructure around the Northeast, and now has over $300,000 available for the 2023/24 grant cycle. Killington Resort was also a Gold Sponsor of local community organizations including $20,000 in contributions towards operating the Paramount Theatre in downtown Rutland for the second year in a row, and a major supporter of CEDRR and the Killington Pico Area Association.
On opening day this year, Nov. 4, 2023, Killington opted to forgo its typical annual swag giveaway and instead donated $10 for each passholder in attendance to the charity of their choice. Selected beneficiaries included Snow Angel Foundation, Burton Chill and YES Kids out of Boston. At Pico Mountain, the season kicked off with a food drive, which raised over $1,000 in in-kind donations for the BROC Community Cupboard, supporting local families in need during the holiday season.
Killington and Pico Resorts contributions to the community go beyond just monetary with unique programs, such as the Pico School program, which offers local students the opportunity to learn to ski or ride. The resorts are also major boosters of programs at KMS and the Pico Ski Education Foundation each year. And members of the Killington team regularly participate in local events, such as Teddy’s Toy Drive, hand-building wagons for local families.
Killington and Pico Resorts are always on the lookout for deserving causes to support in the future, the news release stated. Requests and nominations can be made at killington.requestitem.com.