On April 3, 2024

All aboard the ‘Solar Express’

Sold-out train will run from Rutland to Burlington and back,
aims to reduce hassles, traffic during April 8 eclipse

Staff report

While everyone knows about the Polar Express, on Monday, April 8, it’ll be the “Solar Express” that takes passengers from Rutland up to Burlington, to witness the solar eclipse in the path of totality, which will last from about 3:26 to 3:29 p.m.

Not surprisingly, tickets sold out quickly.

Nicole Carlson of Vermont Rail System has reported that roughly 25% of the tickets were purchased by Vermonters living outside of the path of totality. The other 75% were bought by out-of-staters who either couldn’t stay in the path of totality or who wanted to avoid potential hassles like traffic jams and difficulty finding parking, Carlson added.

The idea to run the Solar Express train was twofold: to help alleviate traffic congestion and to “provide a really fun experience,” she said.

The train will depart from  downtown Rutland at 8 a.m., passengers will  spend 12:30–4:15 p.m. in Burlington, returning to Rutland by 6:30 p.m. Tickets were $250 per person.

 

By Aubrey Gemignani, NASA
The total solar eclipse as seen on Monday, Aug. 21, 2017 in Oregon.

Do you want to submit feedback to the editor?

Send Us An Email!

Related Posts

From tree to table:The Naked Table Project’s small forestry footprint has a big impact

May 29, 2024
By Kathleen Wanner It’s a small world! When you hear that today, it usually has a global connotation. Not so for The Naked Table Project, the brainchild of Charles Shackleton, a furniture maker from Bridgewater. Naked Table highlights just how small the footprint of forestry and wood products can be.  Naked Table grew from the…

Center Street redesign takes shape

May 29, 2024
One-way road downtown deemed best solution for downtown pedestrian and business access By Adam Davis The redesign of Center Street in downtown Rutland is taking its first steps towards becoming a reality. Rutland City Mayor Micheal Doenges presented the Center Street Redesign project at a recent Community and Economic Development Committee meeting at city hall. …

Large turnout for Hartland school budget info session

May 23, 2024
By Curt Peterson The May 21 Hartland school budget information session may be the best-attended school board gathering in recent history — an estimated 40 people attended in person at Damon Hall in Hartland, and another 41 tuned in online. Hartland voters had already approved the $11,040,567 budget 320-311 on April 2. But a petition…