World-class trails and events draw cyclists from throughout the U.S.
From bone-rattling descents to leisurely loops, Vermont’s summer cycling season offers an impressive variety of biking events, set against some of the most breathtaking scenery in the country. Biking enthusiasts will find classic dirt road rides, challenging stage races, nationally acclaimed single-track, guided tours and family festivals throughout the Green Mountain State this summer.
Early season adventures kicked off with the 2015 Gravel Grinder in Waterbury on April 19, and the Muddy Onion Gravel Grinder in Montpelier on April 26. Both events are subject to the vagaries of mud season, but organizers say that’s part of the fun of springtime dirt road rides.
Stage race season begins Memorial Day Weekend with the Killington Stage Race, one of cycling’s top Eastern events. More than 600 competitive cyclists are expected to take on one of New England’s most challenging courses. Memorial Day also marks the opening of Vermont’s bike ferry on the Island Rail Trail in Colchester.
Throughout the summer, cyclists can enjoy guided, van-supported tours of Vermont’s legendary landscape, tackle lift-serviced mountain bike trails, or attempt the steepest paved mile in the U.S (a 24 percent grade) up the Lincoln Gap from Warren.
“Vermont welcomes cyclists of all abilities,” said Megan Smith, commissioner of the Vermont Department of Tourism and Marketing. “We offer gorgeous shorelines, lightly-trafficked roads, and some of the best mountain biking in the east. Our farms, forests, and bike-friendly inns are the perfect backdrop for two-wheeled touring.”
The 2015 season of Vermont biking events runs the gamut from gentle to grueling. Upcoming events include:
- June Tour de Kingdom, Orleans County, June 10-14
- Vermont Gran Fondo, Hancock, June 13
- Vermont CARES Champ Ride for HIV Prevention, Burlington, June 13
- NEMBAfest at Kingdom Trails, East Burke, June 19-21
- Switchback Bike for the Lake, Milton, June 20
- Bikes, Bevs & Beats, Stowe, June 26-28
- Long Trail Century Ride, Killington, June 27
- Central Vermont Cycling Tour, East Montpelier, June 28
- Vittoria Eastern States Cup, East Coast Showdown, Killington, July 4-5
- Islands Bike Tour, South Hero, July 11
- Farm to Fork Fondo-Vermont, Pittsfield, July 12
- Cycle the City, Burlington, July 19
- Onion River Century Ride, Montpelier, July 25
- Vermont Mountain Bike Fest, Brownsville, July 31-August 2
- Vittoria Eastern States Cup Enduro, Mount Snow East Coast Showdown, August 2
- Bike n’ Brew, Q Burke Mountain Resort, August 8
- Vermont Challenge, Stratton Mountain Resort and Manchester, August 13-16
- Champlain Basin Bike Tour, Milton, August 23
- Echo Lake Road Race & Swim, East Charleston, August 22
- Vittoria Eastern States Cup Enduro, Sugarbush Resort, August 22-23
- North Face Race to the Top of Vermont, Stowe, August 23
- Green Mountain Stage Race, Waitsfield, Sept. 4-7
- Dirty 40, Derby, Sept. 5
- Darn Tough Ride, Stowe, Sept. 6
- Vittoria Eastern States Cup Enduro Finals, Killington, Sept. 6
- Kelly Brush Century Ride, Middlebury, Sept. 12
- Open Streets BTV, Burlington, Sept. 13
- Triple Crown Enduro Race, QBurke Mountain Resort, Sept. 19-20
- 2nd Annual Tour de Kingdom Fall Foliage Tour, Barton, Sept. 23-27
- Tour de Farms, Bristol, Sept. 26
- Kingdom Marathon, West Glover, Oct. 4
- Halloween Ride, Burlington, Oct. 24
- Circumburke Challenge, Burke, Oct. 25