Wednesday, Oct. 10, 6:30 p.m.—RUTLAND—On Wednesday, Oct. 10 at 6:30 p.m., Phoenix Books Rutland will host D. D. Guttenplan for a talk on his new book, “The Next Republic” – both an assessment of the current political leadership and a vision of those who can bring substantive change.
Who are the new progressive leaders emerging to lead the post-Trump return to democracy in America? National political correspondent and award-winning author D.D. Guttenplan’s “The Next Republic” is an extraordinarily intense and wide-ranging account of the recent fall and incipient rise of democracy in America. The book profiles nine successful activists who are changing the course of American history right now:
• new labor activist and author Jane McAlevey
• racial justice campaigner (and mayor of Jackson, Mississippi) Chokwe Antar Lumumba
• environmental activist (and newly elected chair of the Nebraska Democratic Party) Jane Kleeb
• Chicago’s first openly gay Latino public official Carlos Ramirez-Rosa
• #ALLOFUS co-founder Waleed Shahid
• young architects of Bernie Sanders’ amazing rise, digerati Corbin Trent and Zack Exley, founders of Brand New Congress, and
• author and anti-corruption crusader Zephyr Teachout.
Additionally, the introduction to “The Next Republic” ties in the election and first year of the Trump presidency to the current rise of populism of the left, and there are three historical chapters that describe key moments in American history that shed light on current events: the Whiskey Rebellion, the Lincoln Republic, and the Roosevelt Republic.
This event is free and open to all. Phoenix Books Rutland is located at 2 Center St., Rutland. For more information, call 802-855-8078 or visit phoenixbooks.biz.