The metal hut was erected about 1915. Pico is in the background.
By Karen D. Lorentz Editor’s note: This is Part 2 of a series on Killington’s first cabins for adventuring tourists.
When the hotel below Killington Peak closed circa 1910, the mountains didn’t lack for visitors.
In 1908 James P. Taylor, a Vermont Academy schoolmaster who enjoyed taking students on mountain hikes, took a group of boys up the washed out road to Killington Peak, and after spending a miserable night in the ruins of the hotel’s kitchen, tried to guide them to Pico Peak.
It was a tough night as porcupines gnawed at the greasy floor and destroyed their breakfast, too. The trip was made worse by the fact there was no trail to Pico. Defeated by the dense brush, it was “no go to Pico.”
The summer of 1909…