Local News

High winds KO’s power

Staff report

About 15,500 Green Mountain Power customers lost power in a high-winds storm over the past weekend.

Crews had to respond to 250 locations with trees down or hazards that needed to be addressed related to the storm. About 98 percent of outages were duo to trees falling on lines. The other 2 percent were related to damaged equipment.

One of the largest issues was caused by multiple trees down on a transmission line in Chester that feeds electricity to 2,900 customers in several towns.

Kristin Kelly, spokesperson for Green Mountain Power,  said a cross-arm broke in an area  that is  “extremely hard to access.”

Crews had to carry materials in to repair the line. They had to climb the pole themselves to get up to cut trees from the line. “It was not great,” said Kelly.

Mountain Times Newsletter

Sign up below to receive the weekly newsletter, which also includes top trending stories and what all the locals are talking about!