Seek out the creeps in Cavendish

Sunday, Oct. 9 at 2 p.m.—CAVENDISH—For many years, the last day the Cavendish Historical Society (CHS) Museum is open has been the society’s annual cemetery tour. This year, breaking with tradition, it will instead be an opportunity to learn about the creepier parts of Cavendish.
Since the summer, CHS has been collecting stories about places that are believed to be haunted and/or have a creepy feel to them. On Sunday, Oct. 9 from 2-4 p.m. at the museum, CHS will share the stories they’ve been collecting and look forward to hearing from members of the audience. This is a free event open to the public.
Who knew that both the Proctorsville Fire Department and the Golden Stage Inn have “visitors” that go by the names of Homer and George respectively? Various people have described the unseen children that laugh and talk in what was once a classroom at the Duttonsville School.
At one time Woodstock had a medical school. In fact, Dr. Williams, the first doctor who administered care to Phineas Gage after his famous tamping rod accident, was a graduate. It wasn’t just their alumni that came to Cavendish but also medical students turned grave robbers who frequented the area, particularly the Twenty Mile Stream Cemetery. Seems they needed bodies for their anatomy lab.
The museum is located at 1958 Main St., Cavendish. For more information, contact 802-226-7807 or margocaulfield@icloud.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *