Then Governor Howard Dean at the inaugural race’s finish line, July 1993.
Saturday, Sept. 20 — MANCHESTER — The 2014 Komen Vermont Race for the Cure®, on Sept. 20, will be the 22nd race held at Hildene Meadows, in Manchester. After this year’s race, Komen will be folding its tents and heading for new digs in the Manchester area as the Meadows will be returned to its original agricultural use.
“We have always been proud to host the Race. It’s meant a lot to us to be able to give of ourselves for such a worthy cause,” said Seth Bongartz, Hildene’s president. “We’ve also always known that we wanted to bring the entire Hildene property under our mission umbrella, but we wanted to have the Race here as long as possible, until we truly needed the land. And we’ve now reached that point.”
“Hildene has been nothing but gracious and accommodating during our long association,” said Becky Burke, Komen VT-NH’s president. “In fact, I suspect they’ve let us stay on for a few years beyond when they really wanted to return the land to its original use. I really can’t say enough good things about Hildene.”
“But it’s not the main thing… 75 percent of all the money raised at the Race underwrites breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs in Vermont and New Hampshire. Earlier this year we were able to grant $350,000 to 11 breast health organizations in the two states. The remaining 25 percent went to breast cancer research.” For more information visit www.komen.org.