KILLINGTON – After 53 years, the Sherburne Women’s Club has been renamed the Greater Killington Women’s Club, according to a June 3 new release. The change was decided upon in order to broaden the club’s membership reach to include surrounding towns as well as seasonal residents. The new name may also better welcome visiting tourists to participate in the club’s various fundraising events, its members reasoned.
The town of Killington was originally chartered in 1761 but the name was changed to Sherburne in 1800 and then reverted back to the Killington name in 1999. The club was seeking to better align with the current name of the community as well as to capitalize on the marketing efforts and name recognition of the Killington Resort.
The Greater Killington Women’s Club is a charitable organization whose focus is providing supporting fundraising efforts and a socializing network to nurture the local community. For more information visit www.swcvt.com.