WEST PAWLET—On the evening of June 16, 2016, members of the West Pawlet Fire Department were dispatched along with Granville EMS to aid a 28-year-old man in full arrest due to an opioid overdose. Responding along with the fire department were Pawlet Constable Bill Humphries and civilian Shannon Hosley Landon, who were in the area.
Fire Chief Hosley, Lieut. Ron Taylor, Jr., and Landon attempted to use the department’s automated external defibrillator (AED), which malfunctioned. CPR was immediately initiated on the patient. After a number of rounds of CPR, the patient began shallow breathing.
Pawlet Constable Bill Humphries arrived shortly afterwards and administered Narcan (generic: naloxone) to the patient. When the Granville Rescue Squad arrived the male was conscious and semi-alert.
Due to the quick action of the West Pawlet Fire Department as a whole and the specific actions of Chief David Hosley, Lieutenant Ron Taylor Jr. Constable Bill Humphries and Shannon Hosley, a life was saved.
Hosley, Taylor, Humphries and Landon were recognized at the West Pawlet Fire Department’s monthly meeting specifically for their actions in reversing a cardiac arrest. They were presented with a Life Saving pin, along with the award.