Did you grab your L.O.L. Surprise dolls last year? What about Hatchimals the year before? Each year, a new crop of must-have toys surfaces. Smart shoppers who do their research and prepare in advance of the holidays can grab these coveted gifts. Others are not so lucky, as they sell out quickly.
Each year, industry experts weigh in on which toys are sure to be hits with children and adults. This data can help shoppers become more informed consumers and may help prevent the last-minute rush when coveted gifts are already sold out and new stock is nowhere in sight. The following are some gifts children may want to see wrapped and waiting under the tree this year.
• Pomsies by Skyrocket: These are fashionable plush pets for children to nurture. They’re adorable and designed to travel with children in a backpack or wrapped around kids’ wrists. The kitties can be played with in a one-on-one setting and also have a mode for social play.
• Luvabella: This is a life-like baby doll that features many of the same surprises that come with a real live infant. Realistic facial expressions and responses, as well as interactive accessories, can make this a true-to-life experience for young girls or boys.
• Blind bag toys: Children seemingly can’t get enough of collectible playthings that focus on the act of unboxing. The Toy Association says sales for collectible playthings grew by 14 percent globally in 2017. The act of removing a surprise from packaging is just as exciting as the toy itself. Expect to find many more of these types of collectibles this year.
• Mecard: This is a battle-action game from Mattel based on the Korean animated series Turning Mecard. Mecards are cars that transform into hero or villain action figures when they drive over a power-charged card.
• Think & Learn Code-a-Pillar: This toy from Fisher-Price gives youngsters an early introduction to STEM. They learn basic coding, planning and sequencing skills by connecting segments of a cute caterpillar.
• SelfieMic Selfie Stick Microphone: Children who are into social media karaoke apps can transform themselves into pop stars. They can sing along to their favorite tunes as a solo artist or with friends in a group. This device works in conjunction with the StarMaker singing app available for iOs and Android.
• Slimy squishy toys: These types of toys were a big hit in 2017 and stand to remain big sellers this year. Make-your-own and pre-made versions of slime and squishy products are sure to be filling up the shelves of neighborhood stores. WeCool’s Squishy Like Slime is one option to keep an eye on.
• K’NEX building sets: These sets from K’NEX marry tangible building with interactive play. Once kids build the sets, which can include roller coasters and more, they can take them on a virtual reality ride.
These are just some of the hot toys and gifts that are primed as big sellers for this holiday season.